- We want a man who is strong with a sensitive side.
- Romance us. We want a man who will surprise us now and again.
- We crave empathy and understanding. Put away all your tools for fixing things and just hold us and tell us it’ll be okay.
- Most of us enjoy a door held open for us and chair pulled out.
- We love you taking control in the bedroom but not in the rest of our lives.
- We never tire of compliments. Telling us we look beautiful never gets old.
- We crave your interest in us. Take the time to get know us. Ask questions.
- We want a man who is confident enough to share his flaws. We aren’t looking for perfection.
- Loyalty and honesty tops the traits most women look for in a man.
- We want a man that takes his time to learn our body. His excitement steams from bringing us to intense orgasms.
As a writer, I try to keep these wants in mind when writing a lovable character (Red in Stuck in Between and Stay in Bittersweet Deceit) without making them seem too good to be true. I want my male characters (at least in my romance novels) to be confident and relaxed, but willing to protect the protagonist at every turn. I also want my female characters to be transparent and bold about what they want.
The list above is definitely not complete so please feel free to add to it.